Ardfert National School will re-open on September 1st 2016







Our School

Ardfert Central National School was opened on August 26th 1974.It involved the amalgamation of Ardfert, Banna and Tubrid schools.
We have 202 children on roll with a staff of 11 teachers--an administrative Principal, 8 class teachers and 2 Learning Support/Resource teachers.

Principal: Betty Stack.

LS Teacher: Lynda McElligott

Resource Teacher: Billy O Connor.

L.S. Maths Teacher--Emer McCarthy based in Bouleenshere School Ballyheigue

Class Teachers:

Sixth: Lisa O Flaherty
Fifth /Deputy Principal: Anne Kearney
Fourth: Joan Holland

Third: Marie O Connell

Second: Tomàs Hanafin
First: Mary Costello
Senior Infants: Margaret Kearney
Junior Infants:Deirdre Courtney
SNA: Mary O Connor, Antoinette McGrath, Sabrina Kavanagh

Secretary: Agnes Heaphy
Caretakers: John Martin Lyne
Christy Hanafin
Traffic Warden: Grania Costello
Cleaners: Mary O Mahony
Doreen Dunne.


Our Locality

The village of Ardfert is situated in North Kerry, 8km from Tralee and 2km from the beautiful Banna Strand.The village is enriched with some of the most attractive historical sites in the country.
Ardfert means 'Height of Graves' or 'Height of Miracles' and is most widely recognised through its connections with St.Brendan.He was known as 'Brendan the Navigator' and the murals on our school walls show some of the adventures he had on his many voyages.
It was St. Brendan who who founded a monastic settlement in Ardfert at the beginning of the 6th century.

Historical Buildings

Ardfert Cathedral
The first monastery in Ardfert was built on the site of St.Brendan's Oratory.This limestone ecclesiastical site has undergone much restoration work in recent times as the building has many beautiful architectural features.These features include a singular arcade of nine windows known as the 'Nine Choirs of Angels' as well as Romanesque doorways and Ogham stone features.

The Fountain
A beautiful stone crafted fountain is located in the centre of the village.It was built by the local landlords the Crosbies and would have been the main water supply used by the local people until a new water system was introduced during the 1970's.

Franciscan Friary
The substantial remains of Ardfert Friary or Abbey can be found to the east of the village.This was founded by the first Lord of Kerry, Thomas Fitzgerald in 1253.The Friary consisted of a cloister, a square tower and a dormitory.

The Glandore Gate
Located in the heart of Ardfert village , the Glandore Gate was the main entrance to the Great House of the Crosbie family.The building is now privately owned.

The Red Brick Hall
The old Ardfert Parish Rooms which were built in 1914, served as a meeting place for local people.